background

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder??

This morning my doctor's appt was rescheduled to Thursday so I was able to get to the playdate on time.

I found this group on the meetup site. These ladies all live about 15+ minutes away from me. Is this too far to maintain any friendships I might make? My husband mentioned this to me the other day when I told him about the new group. My response to him? Maybe, maybe not, but I won't know until I go.

The sensibility behind his question has been niggling at the back of my mind since. How far is too far to maintain a friendship? Ideally, I'd love to have a close girlfriend that I can call last minute and invite out without having to worry about traffic delays or how much gas I have in the car.

Anywho, we made the trek to K's house and I'm so glad that I did! She and her son, P, are totally normal and really friendly! There were only three of us there which was nice for all involved. It kept the three of us talking and let the kids play without being overwhelmed. K is from LA (lucky!) and her house is bilingual: English and Chinese! P is 16 months old and is just starting to talk.

The other attendee was A and her son, P. He is 20 months old and keeps his momma on her toes! She used to live about three blocks down the street from me. She just moved in October so we talked about the neighborhood and she even knew some ladies from my current neighborhood playgroup. Talk about a small world! She is originally from New York.

D had a great time. Usually when we first get to a new environment he hangs out with me and takes his time getting acclimated. This time, we barely made it in the door before he found a toy that caught his eye and he was off!!

I've already signed up for another playgroup through this group and am looking forward to meeting some more ladies. This one is a bouncehouse playdate. I think D is still too young to play in the thing, but that's hardly the point, right?

In other news, I made sure to take some pictures at the Arboretum of the moms with their little ones. I know how much I enjoy getting pictures of Dominic unexpectedly, especially ones of the two of us together in a private captured moment. I am always the one behind the camera and there are but a few pictures of D and I together. I emailed the pictures to the mommas yesterday in an effort to stay on their mind. Two moms received photos and one has sent me a thank you email.

One activity that I am SO excited for is this weekend at Borders. I just received an email from them and cannot wait!! April is National Poetry Month and Borders is hosting a poetry reading, of sorts. They are reading a "Fancy, Nancy" book. The kicker??? The kiddos get all dressed up for it!! If there's nothing you learn about me it will be this: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to dress up my little boy to look like a little old man! I plan on sending out an email to my neighborhood girls to see if there is anyone who is interested in meeting up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.