background

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Catch Up Post 1.3: A-ha moments

So I have slacked the last few nights in keeping this blog updated. We have been super busy and you'll soon realize why the lag in blogging.

Tuesday we had a toddler playgroup scheduled with the neighborhood group. I met L and A there. As usual, I was the first to show up. We chatted politely with the host and then "the others" showed up. The full-fledged toddlers, now close to 3 years old. Such a jump from my little 19 month old.

I was impressed, though, he held his own! He went immediately for the slide and after two slides holding my hand he was ready to do it on his own. What a big boy he is becoming.



I knew some of the ladies there from our first few playdates last year. I actually had one of Oprah's "a-ha!" moments while watching D play in the sand table: I am one of the helicopter parents I always dreaded as a teacher! Don't get me wrong, I don't meddle in other children's affairs or try to tell the other mom's how things should be done, but I am most definitely right there next to my son helping him with things and teaching him to get along with others. Most of the other moms were sitting to the side, talking amongst each other while their spawn ran around and threw sand out of the table. I patiently waited for one mother to come redirect her daughter after she threw sand at D. Thank goodness he was wearing a hat or it would have gone in his eyes.

So, my revelation is that there are two kinds of toddler moms: the ones who sit back and let things just happen and those who sit attentively nearby to make sure things DON'T just happen. I fall in the latter category and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Maybe the helicopter parents are on to something? I vow that I will never be the one to try and tell my son's teacher how to teach, though. That is just taking it too far!!

Other than that, we had an okay time. Not really a group of ladies that I feel comfortable with, but they've been together all year getting to know one another. I suppose a newcomer to our baby group would feel the same way. Something to chew on the next time a newbie visits the group, eh??

The same afternoon we were invited to check out O's new jungle gym. We walked over and had a sit outside on their patio. It was a perfect day to be outside. D wasn't all that impressed with the huge metal structure so we went inside to play after a few rounds of blowing bubbles. M made a chocolate cake and I had brought some ice cream over so we inhaled the treats and then the boys got down to business, playtime. D fell in love with this tractor.



We talked about Thursday. M and O attend a mommy and me group every Thursday. I had planned on joining her a few Thursdays ago and for whatever reason we have had to cancel. This week I have a doctor's appt so it's another no-go. Maybe next week? D started to show signs of wearing out so we left about an hour and a half later. Good playtime for the boys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

.