background

Thursday, March 31, 2011

When is a dog just a dog?

As soon as you bring home a new baby!

When we were pregnant with Dominic people tried to tell us that our precious (HA!) beagle, Annabelle, would cease to live as the baby of the house and would be delegated to pure dog status. Neither my husband nor myself believed it. We were so in line with the idea that she was like a child to us that we sent cards on her behalf to our relatives and even had elaborate birthday parties for her.

Seeing as this is her 5th birhthday today, I thought I'd take a stroll down memory lane and re-visit her first two birthday parties. Notice she ceased having parties once Dominic came home?? Want to fancy a guess why??

First Birthday party:


Eating dog friendly ice cream out of a beagle mug, of course!


Dog friendly cake


The cake station complete with homemade doggie bag favors.


The birthday girl in her homemade birthday hat. CUTE!

Second Birthday party:


The birthday girl all dolled up. The hat's not homemade, but there's still some love involved.


Check out this fancy cake. My reasoning? We were expecting a little boy and I figured I'd never have the opportunity to buy a cutesy cake again...


The front of the invitation.
The back read: "Come and help me celebrate my last birthday as an only child." That about sums it up, folks.

Annabelle has had three birthdays as an older sibling. Sadly, I cannot recall that we have done anything special for her on any of these occasions. As a matter of fact, I almost totally forgot about today until the last minute! I told D we will make her a birthday cake tomorrow afternoon for April Fool's Day.

Don't feel too bad for ol'Annabelle. She still gets to sleep in the master's bed and only drinks filtered water. She has her own doggie door for easy access to the fresh air and/or air conditioning and she gets to eat anything that Dominic drops on the floor. All in all, I'd say her life isn't too bad, would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

.