background

Friday, March 4, 2011

Lessons from Laura

This afternoon I was able to watch one of my favorite shows growing up...Little House. That probably dates me, but who cares?? It was, and still is, a great family oriented show that I would look forward to every day after school (following Brady Bunch, of course).

This particular episode featured a pre-teen Laura who has a crush on a boy at school and she is trying to attract his attention in a different way. Since she is such a tomboy she lets out her horrendous braids for a loose mane of hair. Her crush calls it a mop. She "borrows" some of her mother's expensive perfume and the boy asks if she can smell the dead skunk that is certainly around. Poor Laura.

I can remember all too well the unrequited love of a childhood crush. That, coupled with the awkwardness of puberty, is forever etched in my memory bank.

What does that have to do with this post??? Well, seeing this episode made me recall my day at the aquarium with D. We had about 12 moms and kids meet at the Children's Aquarium for a fun morning of fish, food and fun! I checked the list of RSVP's before I left just to see who I would know and one name popped out at me. I met R at a previous event and we hit it off pretty well. We've since been to a couple of events together and have talked a bit here and there.

I was excited to see her and C again. She and I just click as mom's, although we couldn't be more different- she is sorority sister-esque and I'm the jeans and tee kind of gal, she is intelligent and classy and I'm just plain old me. I feel like she's too good to be my friend. Weird, isn't it?

This motherhood connection may very well be the only thing we have in common. Yet I still enjoyed talking with her and even got a bit excited when she chose to sit by D and I at lunch. SO JUNIOR HIGH, no??? Ha!

I don't really know how this "friendship" will go. There's not much to tie us together other than we both have little boys whom we cherish and our parenting style seems to be in synch. Our kids are 2 years apart, we are of different religious beliefs, we live in different cities...nothing else in common. It seems such a waste to not pursue what could be a friendship but for now I'll table the occasion and think on it. If it happens, it happens.

Why couldn't I have been such a logical thinker when I was "in love" with my schoolgirl crush??

My rambling post is now over.

Photos coming soon, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.