background

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

10 for you and 2 for me

Our Lenten "sacrifice" is chugging right along. I'm excited each day to think of a way to show kindness to a stranger.

Yesterday we went to Target for a run and on the way home we were stopped at a red light. I noticed 2 men waiting at the bus stop. One was just pacing and the other was sitting on the bench listening to his ipod. I thought back to Rome when we had to take buses and the metro to get around and how long the wait can seem. Just then I spied a donut shop! Bling!! The lightbulb went off.

We turned into the parking lot of the donut shop and bought a dozen donuts. I used my pre-made RAK cards (which are in my purse at all times) and Dominic and I went up to the men and handed out the donuts. At first it was a bit intimidating, walking up to three (another man joined the wait) men. They were super nice and laughed when they read the card so that made me feel more at ease. The last guy even game Dominic a hug!!

Then we patrolled the area and gave out 3 more donuts to people waiting. One bus stop had a man and woman waiting. They were not together, they were not even sitting close to each other. After they got the donuts they began laughing with each other and talking. They both waved as we drove off. So nice to see!!

The last lady at the bus stop was all alone. She thanked me profusely and put the card in her pocket. She maintained eye contact and I could tell that she really appreciated the small act of kindness.

We had 6 donuts left and for the life of me we couldn't find ANYONE else waiting at a bus stop! We did, however, find a fire truck in an adjacent neighborhood with 4 firemen packing up. We quickly parked and ran to them with the last of the donuts and some cards. They immediately picked Dominic up into their truck and let him check out their gear!!

We had a wonderful time with this!

This morning we decided to RAK the mail carrier. We have yet to meet our carrier so we aren't sure if it's a man or a woman. We had a Hershey's bar left over from the girl scout RAK on Sunday so we taped a card to it and I included a hand-written thank you card and Dominic drew a picture. Cute!!


I'm really liking this idea!! Let's hope I can come up with something cool for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

.